Bubblegum

bubblegumWhen I floated last week the idea of spinning up a new group read, I proposed only books that had been published for some time. We’ve generally discussed books here that’ve been published for a while. I posted to the wallace-l mailing list to see if there was any interest (there had been some overlap between that group and people participating in the initial Infinite Summer read that resulted in this site). There was. And several people suggested Adam Levin’s forthcoming book Bubblegum. Just about a week ago, I had finished Levin’s The Instructions and liked it. Another brick by the same author is appealing to me. So is wading into a book that’s not a reread.

DFW mavens Matt Bucher and Dave Laird run a podcast called The Great Concavity, and they recently had Levin as a guest. They spoke some about Infinite Jest but also spoke about Bubblegum and read a couple of passages from it. Consider giving that a listen to whet your appetite.

The book comes out on Tuesday, and any who are interested in reading it will need some time to get the book. I’ve placed an order with my local indie bookstore, which isn’t properly open during the pandemic but which is taking orders and mailing books out or doing curbside pick-up. If you’re game to join in a group read of the book, I hope you’ll do the same. I’ll post more about the timing once I get a sense for how long it’ll take to get the book into enough hands to make a group read plausible.

If you’re in, consider commenting to let me know (and if you can ballpark the timing on getting the book, that’d be helpful too). If you’d like to contribute posts here, let me know that too (by email at infinitezombies at gmail if you’re shy about speaking up in the comments).

15 thoughts on “Bubblegum

1. Joan Sberro April 13, 2020 / 12:09 pm

I’m in for the read at least! I just ordered the book, as soon as I have some idea on delivery I’ll let you know. I’m going to just read this time, and not contribute as I feel like the read itself will test my bandwidth at this point but it sounds great!

• Daryl L. L. Houston April 13, 2020 / 12:24 pm

Thanks, and no worries about reading along without writing. It’ll be neat to know you’re along for the ride in any case.

2. Paul Debraski April 16, 2020 / 6:37 pm

My copy just arrived today. Depending on your b timeline i think im in.

3. erikeckel April 18, 2020 / 8:53 am

I’m in. I’m picking up (curbside delivery) my copy today.

4. Joan Sberro April 19, 2020 / 7:34 pm

My copy is supposedly shipping this week, so I should get it soon!

5. Joan Sberro April 20, 2020 / 6:41 pm

My copy just arrived! Maybe it’s the fog of isolation brain but I’d swear the dust jacket smells like bubblegum!

• erikeckel April 20, 2020 / 8:19 pm

My copy just arrived also. The dust jacket definitely smells like bubblegum.

• Daryl L. L. Houston April 21, 2020 / 7:57 am

Yep, I heard in an interview that this is actually a thing. Hopefully my copy will arrive this week and we can lay out a plan and get started.

• Joan Sberro April 21, 2020 / 11:56 am

Very fun and I’m glad that I wasn’t just imagining it! And I hope you get yours soon – I ordered from my local independent bookstore and it was pretty quick. I’m just trying not to dip into it until we get started, but I have school reading I can tackle in the meantime.

6. Jeff Anderson April 22, 2020 / 5:25 pm

Hadn’t heard of this one at all! And who doesn’t love discovering a brand-new book?

I’ll probably just buy it on my Kindle, so I can get started whenever we get started! I’d love to post along, if I didn’t wear out that welcome by…not finishing posting about three different books here before. ;p Been working on getting my criticism brain back in gear, so the deadlines to produce sound stimulating.

• Daryl L. L. Houston April 25, 2020 / 5:09 pm

Jeff, you’re most welcome to post along. Fourth time’s the charm! 😉

7. MMT April 28, 2020 / 12:39 am

Reading this in a separate book club but will definitely be lurking here as well 🙂 got mine today and was delighted to find the smell of bubblegum on the jacket, pretty neat!